Hike For Healing
In this period of social distancing and lockdown because of the Coronavirus pandemic many sporting events were cancelled which had an effect on charities like the Cape of Good Hope SPCA which rely on these events to raise funds needed to care for the thousands of animals who come through our doors.
On 14 March 2021, due to the postponement of Cape Town Cycle Tour and cancellation of the Two Oceans Marathon, a small group of eight friends who are intrepid Capetonian trail guides and mountain hikers cycled and hiked an epic 70km from Cape Point to Table Mountain Cable Station to raise awareness and funds for the SPCA.
We fondly dubbed the event “Trails For Tails” and they raised an impressive collective amount of just over R50 000.
Due to the success of the Trails for Tails event Binny Ridgway organiser and experienced trail guide, together with Sally Petersen founder and director of AWOL Tours have generously offered their expertise to facilitate a hiking event and open it to the public within the requirements of Sanparks to not only raise funds for the Cape of Good Hope SPCA but to give supporters the experience of beautiful, invigorating trails away from the bustle of city life , with like-minded people while doing good.
Our goal is to raise R90 000 which will give help us heal at least 225 animals!
Register today for our first ever EXCLUSIVE hike event, select your route in support of our Trails4Tails Hike-a-thon
To guarantee your goody bag is received before the event, all hikers must be registered by 15 August 2022
- Your minimum total fundraising target amount is R1500
- A deposit of R200 secures your registration
- Deposit the balance before your hike
Win a R1999 Salomon Supercross Voucher
If you manage to raise R2000 or more, you’ll be automatically entered to win a Supercross voucher to the value of R1999 sponsored by Salomon
Each Hiker Will Receive:
- A commemorative SPCA-branded unisex t-shirt made from polyester birds-eye moisture
- Backpack filled with many awesome goodies including PVM Energy Bars
- An SPCA sports scarf/buff
- Tools to help you on your fundraising journey
- A fundraising letter for you to send to your network
- Your own dedicated Given Gain page for fundraising
- Transportation back to your vehicle after the hike, by AWOL Tours
- Completion certificate
- Most of all, the personal satisfaction that your hike helped to heal a sick or injured animal
With routes selected by Table Mountain Guide Binny Ridgway from Ridgway Ramblers and Sally Petersen, founder and director of AWOL Tours, the hike will run over 2 days.
Sally and Binny will guide all sessions.
3 Sections – 10 people each (30 total)
1) (FULLY BOOKED) Cape Point to Cape Point Gate along False Bay coastline trail (17km)
2) (FULLY BOOKED) Mountain trail from Smitzwinkel to Simonstown (14km)
note: some exposure to heights.
3) Simonstown to Kalk Bay along the road (10km)
3 Sections – 10 people each (30 total)
1) Kalk Bay to top of Ou Kaapse Weg (7km)
2) Ou Kaapse Weg to Constantia Nek (15km)
3) Constantia Nek to bottom of Platteklip. (16km)
How to Register
Register today for our first-ever hike event!
- By registering, you acknowledge your total participation fee is the minimum amount of R1500.
- Your deposit of R200 secures your registration and you may fundraise for the balance by asking friends and family to donate to your Trails4Tails Hike-a-thon fundraising page on GivenGain, which we will set up for you once you’ve registered.
- If you manage to raise R2000 or more, you’ll be automatically entered to win a Supercross voucher to the value of R1999 sponsored by Salomon
- You must complete the AWOL Trails Indemnity/Covid Form.
- Select your route/s below in support of our Trails4Tails Hike-a-thon.
Our goal is to raise at least R90 000 for the Cape of Good Hope SPCA’s Animal Hospital to help the many sick and injured animals who come through our doors.