The Cape of Good Hope SPCA is the oldest and largest animal welfare organisation in South Africa, and is the founding society for the SPCA movement in the country. Below is a list of facts to tell you everything you need to know about the CoGH SPCA:
- The Cape of Good Hope SPCA was established in 1872 and is based in Grassy Park, Cape Town.
- The Society’s main mission is to Speak, Protect and Care for all animals.
- We have a team of 12 inspectors who cover an area of 11 000 km2 plus coastline
- The CoGH SPCA comprises an Inspectorate, Animal Care Centre (incl. Pound, Lost & Found and Adoption Centre), Animal Hospital and Clinic (including 4 mobile clinics), Horse Care Unit, Farm Animal Unit, Wildlife Unit, Resource & Development department.
- The Society employs approximately 100 full time staff members, and also relies heavily on a team of dedicated volunteers.
- The Animal Hospital works on an almoning system where pet owners need to provide proof of household income. The Hospital aims to service those who cannot afford private veterinary care.
- We have a full-time team of educators who work in a number of schools across Cape Town